Rarely do I approach a piece with a preconceived endpoint in mind. To me, art-making is a creative practice of exploration and play. I’m committed to carving out space in my life to show up and learn what it has to teach me about myself and my world.
Encaustic is a wonderfully versatile medium. I love the natural beauty of beeswax and the wide range of techniques that work with it. I’m drawn to the way encaustic painting engages my senses—the way that it looks, smells and feels. Encaustic painting is done in layers. It is a process of building up and scraping away to reveal what lies beneath the surface. Each layer of encaustic medium is fused using heat. Working with different fusing tools I can either maintain or eliminate texture.
Often there’s an interesting call and response dynamic between what the wax chooses to do and my intention as I paint.
Bio: Ruth Maude
Ruth exhibits paintings in various galleries and venues in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Her work is in private collections in Canada and the United States.
Ruth Maude is the artist behind the popular All Things Encaustic blog. She enjoys experimenting with a variety of encaustic materials, techniques and tools and sharing what she discovers with other artists. Through experimentation, she continuously is pushing her creative journey in new directions.
A web designer/developer and instructor, she teaches WordPress workshops online.
Ruth Maude | Encaustic Mixed Media | Toronto
- Making Your Way Through | Southampton Arts, Southampton, ON
- Welcome Home Exhibition | Riverwood Gallery & Studio, Allenford, ON
- PAG25 Online Exhibition | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- SALON 14 Exhibition | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Catch Phrase | Neilson Park Creative Centre, Etobicoke, ON
- Lawrence Park Art Show 2019, Toronto, ON
- CRE8TIVE – An Exploration in Mixed Media | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Summer Small Works Exhibition | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Heat, Arts Etobicoke Members Exhibition, Cloverdale Common, Etobicoke, ON
- EAG’s 55th Annual Juried Exhibition | Etobicoke Civic Centre Art Gallery, Etobicoke, ON
- 12th Annual Open Juried Fine Art Show 2019 Juried by Lynne Schumacher | Beaux Arts Brampton Gallery, Brampton, ON
- In Praise of Oguni Washi | The Japanese Paper Place, Etobicoke, ON
- Blue | Bleu Impulse Juried Show | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Figure it Out Juried Show | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Northern Tendencies Juried Show | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Lawrence Park Art Show 2018, Toronto, ON
- Headwaters Arts Annual Juried Show, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Alton, ON
- SUMMERTIME Exhibition | Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2nd Annual Summer Group Show | Blue Crow Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Both Sides Now | The Japanese Paper Place, Toronto, ON
- True North | Headwaters Arts Gallery, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Alton, ON
- Waxing Poetic | The Hive, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Alton, ON
- 11th Annual Open Juried Fine Art Show Juried by Tony Marinus Vander Voet | Beaux-Arts Brampton Gallery, Brampton, ON
- Perspectives | Headwaters Arts Gallery, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Alton, ON
- What the Fukunishi? | Graven Feather Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Painting with Fire (2021/22) Multiple Instructors
- Nicholas Wilton, (2019, 2020, 2021) The Creative Visionary Program
- Andrea Bird (2007 – 2018) numerous encaustic and creativity workshops
- Paula Roland & Jeffrey Hirst (2019) Encaustic Monotype & Silkscreen Printmaking
- Christina Lovisa – (2017-2019) Mixed Media Encaustic, Mixed Media Assemblage, Encaustic Collage
- Lorraine Glessner (2018) Beyond the Basics Retreat
- Kathryn Bevier – (2011, 2018) Encaustic Monotype Printmaking
- Tania Willems – Photo Encaustic
- Attended the Fifth Annual International Encaustic Conference (June 2011)
- 2022 – Flow – Juror Encaustic Art Institute’s National Juried Exhibition
- 2021/22 Board Member and Chair of Marketing & Communications at Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto
- 2021 Co-curator – LAYERS of MEANING Online International Encaustic Exhibition, Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto
- 2019 Co-curator – CRE8TIVE – An Exploration in Mixed Media, Propeller Art Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2018 Instructor – The Hive Encaustic Studio, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Alton, ON